Serious damage was averted at Lakeway Elementary School
LITTLETON — Serious damage was averted at Lakeway Elementary School on Thursday. Littleton Fire Rescue was summoned at 7 p.m. for a fire alarm activation and reports of smoke in the hallway. Custodial staff contained the flames until the first crews arrived and extinguished the fire in the school administrative office. Deputy Chief Chad Miller reported “Quick actions of the school staff contacting 911 to confirm the alarm and then working to extinguish the fire avoided serious property loss and school closure.” Littleton Fire was assisted by Bethlehem Emergency Services, Lisbon Fire Department, St. Johnsbury Fire Department, Sugar Hill Fire Rescue and Whitefield Fire Rescue. There were no injuries. While the investigation is ongoing initial reports indicate an unplugged lithium-ion battery is the source of the fire.